love to chat

Focus Focus Focus... Not my strong point. Instead I enjoy life regardless of my focus.

Monday, April 24, 2006

When to say no!

Another Monday and a million things to do. You ever have one of those years or lives rather where you know you are too busy to do it and your head says no, but dang that mouth for saying sure what time do you need me? That is my story. I was off today to set up a local art show that I volunteered for and if I wasn't working part-time I would love to do but I do work and I really wanted the day off for me. This entire week is crazy.
I was a stay at home mom for 12 years the crazy thing was I decided stay at home mom was an oxymoron because I was never home. Now I think my goal is to do that again for awhile hoping to have a little free time and save on gas etc and just do my job on a subbing basis. However, I have to learn to get my nouth and head on the same page and say no sometimes.
The day did go smooth and the girls I worked with are all Christians making it an enjoyable 8 hours (yes you heard me right 8 hours) just to set it up. However, I came home to a house with more work to do and I feel so overwhelmed I can't figure out where to start. There is so much to do and I don't think I am managing my time well. I can't even remember if I cancelled a doctors appointment. I have that ADD brought on by children email I am sure you have all read. Okay so where am I going with all this. HMMM...I know I had a goal in mind.
Oh yes for my life to slow down I pray I can find that even keel place where I am still and hear what it is God wants me to do instead of trying to be everyone's angel to the rescue. I know when I slow down I think and I feel and I work better but I always forget to put that on the things to do list. So tell me how do you all manage to do it? You know manage a house, a career, a blog, friendships, and just life in general not to mention the driving of children, school volunteer work and still stop and listen. I have quiet time like I know I NEED! Still I am not sure I am being disciplined like God would have me to be. There has to be a way to make this all work and still feel rested. Sometimes I think I stay this busy to avoid the things I should deal with. You know that down time I talked about the other day. I am afraid if I sit still I will find out something else needs me or maybe someone else and what if I can't fit them in too? I am not worrying because I don't have time, but you get the idea. I need to get organized and set priorities how does everyone else do it? Give me ideas and I will try it because my way is making me weary. I love that everyone gets what they need at the end of the day but I think I forgot I have needs as well.
That is why I don't right here often I feel like such a downer especially lately I want to lift people up not pull them down. I really am upbeat but I don't sound like it hopefully over the next few weeks as school lets out I will be the normal me, but still I will need this advice so fill me in if you have a verse, an idea or some way to slow down I would love to hear it.
Happy day!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Diane Viere said…

    It is tough to say no....until you practice it! I understand completely--being a stay at home mom is like having a neon sign above your head that shines, "ASK ME! ASK ME! ASK ME!" For me--it was the guilt of having time to do things....yet, not wanting to--but saying yes anyway because, you guessed it...I had the time! "After all," was my mantra--"it's why I am not working!"

    Soon, however, (as in years soon)...I began to resent the things I was doing that did not hold my passion. I soon added to my agenda for each day--me time. Time to take care of me and refresh mamma--so she would be available (and not grumpy) for the "at home" reasons I stayed home!

    Let me encourage you to take a deep breath--and practice saying no! Maybe practice pausing before you answer anything! Practice a long---pregnant pause.......do it! It won't feel so uncomfortable once you practice it daily. Then, make space in your weekly comittments for one or maybe two extra things. Then once they are booked...you can practice saying, "Sorry, I would love to help you out, but I am already booked for this week, this month, this year!" See--it works!

    You are never a downer! We're just workin' things out! That takes courage!

    Diane

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger great2beme said…

    Wow thanks you really have the gift of encouragement. I guess since my sister is working on not grumping I can work on saying no and we can lift each other up. You said it about the neon sign for sure. I often feel like they come to me because at some point i said I would help any way I can but what I didn't do was be specific about as long as if isn't interupting everything else in my world that day. I couldn't have said it better.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home